Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 19 Update! And, the health benefits of sweet potato!

19 days until the Photo Shoot!

Exercise:
Kettlbell Bootcamp (50 minutes)

Eating
5:30am Zone Bar
8:00am Egg white and vegetable omelet
11:00am Zone Bar
2:00pm Easy Fajitas
6:00pm Easy Fajitas
8:30pm Fresh Squeezed OJ with gelatin and 12 almonds


Drinking

128oz h20
10 oz herbal tea
6oz OJ

If you have been reading my food journal for the last week or so, you can see that I have been on a sweet potato kick! Growing up, I have always loved sweet potatoes, especially when my uncle made his candied yams version which had lots of sugar, butter, and cinnamon! YUMMY! As I've gotten older, sweet potatoes are still one of my favorite side dishes during holiday time, but recently I realized it doesn't have to be Christmas or Thanksgiving for me to enjoy the awesomeness of this tuberous crop. As you noticed, I can eat them, days on end, mashed or oven "fried", and sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg. They taste great AND they are good for you! But, don't take my word for it--here are some health benefits of sweet potatoes I found on a combination of trustworthy web sites. LOL

  • Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A (betacarotene) and Vitamin C. Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells.
  • Sweet potatoes are good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of the colon.
  • They are beneficial for low blood pressure.
  • May be helpful for hemorrhoids because of its high fiber content.
  • Sweet potatoes are a good food for people involved in heavy muscular work, since this food is high in vitamins and minerals.
  • Sweet potatoes may help prevent cancer in glands and organs with epithelial tissue due to its high Vitamin A content.
  • Sweet potato are a good food for diabetics, because it helped stabilize blood sugar levels.
  • Nutritive Values : Per 100 gm. Vitamin A : 7,700 I.U. Vitamin B : Thiamine .09 mg.;Riboflavin : .05 mg. Niacin : .6 mg. Vitamin C : 22 mg. Calcium : 30 mg. Iron : .7 mg. Phosphorus : 49 mg. Potassium : 300 mg. Fat : .7 gm. Carbohydrates : 27.9 gm. Protein : 1.8 gm. Calories : 123

No comments:

Post a Comment