Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Fall Meal Idea that’s all treat—no tricks!


Tracie’s Protein-Packed Chili and Bob’s Gluten Free Cornbread!


Its getting chilly outside and sometimes you need a meal that will warm you up inside and out. Luckily, I received Tracie’s chili recipe just the other day and while I was grocery shopping I found that Bob’s Red Mill has a gluten-free cornbread mix. I mostly followed the directions of the recipes but made a few tweaks here and there! I list my tweaks first and then the recipes below.


Also, the serving size for this chili is 12 and for the cornbread, 16. So, for me, I will just eat this all week for lunch/dinner. At lunch I will have a serving of corn bread, while for dinner I will not. For dinner, I will most likely add a side salad or the like.


Crystal’s tweaks to Tracie’s chili:

1) 1 added 1 small red bell pepper.

2) I used 1/3 ground turkey and 2/3 beef. Also, I did not sauté the meat in coconut oil (the coconut oil I have has a coconutty-flavor that I do not like in savory dishes).

3) I added ground cumin with the other spices (2T). I love the taste of cumin, especially in chili. Also, I don’t skimp on the red pepper flakes or green chilis. I like my chili spicy. I added the entire can of green chilis.

4) I did not add the beans or garnish with the dairy.


Crystal’s tweaks to Bob’s cornbread

1) I used about two cups of soy milk (the mixture was still too thick after 1 ½ cups)

2) I used olive oil instead of butter.

3) I baked my corn bread in a CAST IRON SKILLET instead of a 9x9 pan.


Tracie’s Protein Packed Chili

Serves 12

Ingredients:

3 pounds grass-fed ground beef

5 T gelatin powder

¼ cup red wine or vinegar

2 cups of beef stock/broth

2 onions, finely chopped

2-4 small green chilies, chopped, or ½ small can of green chilies

2 cans of diced tomatoes (put into food processor if chucks are not desired)

1 can of tomato paste

3 cloves of garlic, mashed

2 T dried oregano

2 T dried basil

¼ t red pepper flakes

1 T Chile powder

3 bay leaves

4 cups of black beans (optional)

Sour cream or shredded cheese for garish


Instructions:

1. Brown meat until crumbly in a little coconut oil or butter (not needed for grass-fed meat) in a heavy pot.

2. Drain fat from pot.

3. Dissolve the gelatin in broth using a separate bowl.

4. Add gelatin/broth combination and the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least one hour.

5. Serve with garnishes.

6. Make sure you add a carbohydrate, such as a sweet potato or a piece of fruit for dessert, to balance your blood sugar.

Modified from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

C = 12g P =35g F = 13g Cals = 310 (this is without garnish or beans)


Bob’s Gluten-Free Corn Bread

Serves 16

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups milk (rice, soy, dairy)

1/3 Cup oil or melted butter

2 Eggs


Instructions:

1. Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease 9 x 9-inch gray, nonstick pan.

2. Place dry ingredients in large mixer bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 large eggs and 1/3 cup canola oil or melted butter. Mix on low speed with electric mixer until blended. Beat another 30 seconds with mixer on high.

3. Bake 20 minutes or until nicely browned.


Enjoy!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment